Our research covers many areas of neonatal medicine, but we have grouped these into a few sections that you can also access by clicking on the Research tab above:
- gut function, microbiome, metabolome, cell work
- the Newcastle Preterm Birth Growth Study - focusing on metabolic outcomes in children and adolescents born preterm
- trials - active & recent collaborative trials we are part of. We are also undertaking some qualitative work with parents (PARENT study) exploring their views and experiences, especially in the context of being approached to join one or more studies.
- SERVIS study - Supporting Enhanced Research in Vulnerable Infants - our sample salvage study explaining how and why we collect stool and urine, and how to salvage waste blood from the lab.
- Movement analysis - with a multidisciplinary team (neurologists, physiotherapists, nurses, occupational therapists, parents) of researchers funded by the NIHR and other organisations we are exploring how babies move, and the prediction of, and treatment for, certain forms of cerebral palsy
- Qualitative work with parents - we are working with a multidisciplinary team including perinatal epidemiologists, social scientists, nurses, parents, midwives, and counsellors. Our work is focused on loss of a baby, how best to support parents and how to train and educate staff.