How does it work? I've appended 5 key papers over the last few years that have added to our knowledge, and also emphasize the importance of this intervention in more resource-poor settings.
- Lawn, J.E., Mwansa-Kambafwile, J., Horta, B.L., Barros, F.C., Cousens, S. Kangaroo mother care' to prevent neonatal deaths due to preterm birth complications (2010) International Journal of Epidemiology, 39 (SUPPL. 1), pp. i144-i154.
- Barros, F.C., Bhutta, Z.A., Batra, M., Hansen, T.N., Victora, C.G., Rubens, C.E. Global report on preterm birth and stillbirth (3 of 7): Evidence for effectiveness of interventions (2010) BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, 10 (SUPPL. 1), art. no. S3,
- Feldman, R., Eidelman, A.I. Skin-to-skin contact (Kangaroo Care) accelerates autonomic and neurobehavioural maturation in preterm infants (2003) Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 45 (4), pp. 274-281.
- Furman, L., Minich, N., Hack, M. Correlates of lactation in mothers of very low birth weight infants (2002) Pediatrics, 109 (4)
- Charpak, N., Ruiz-Peláez, J.G., Figueroa De C, Z., Charpak, Y. Kangaroo mother versus traditional care for newborn infants ≤2000 grams: A randomized, controlled trial (1997) Pediatrics, 100 (4), pp. 682-688.